Stretch #2- Hamstring Stretch Back System3
Keeping the hamstrings stretched is an important part of maintaining lumbar flexibility.
Tight hamstrings, gluteal and hip flexor muscles are often key components of back pain. Even if you’re not in pain, (happy times) it’s important and extremely helpful to maintain hamstring flexibility. Keeping your hamstrings long and released can give you less back discomfort as well as improve your gait.
There are many ways to stretch the hamstrings, but one of my favorites is to use the Back System3 machine . Many gyms have it, and you can find BackSystem3 or a Precor version in most Physical Therapy offices. So check with a trainer the next time you’re at your gym. I’ve had one in all of my studios and started using this incredible system several decades ago.
If your back is tight or if you have low back pain, try the first 2 exercises listed in the Back Systems3 machine booklet. My recommendation is to start with Hamstring stretch, which is the 2nd one, then move on to the Low back stretch, which is the first.
Hamstring Stretch on the BackSystem3
- Begin by extending 1 leg over the Rollers and keep your opposite foot in pedal. (see very old photo of me above):)
- Follow the instructions for how long to hold and how man reps., etc. Please be careful, none of these stretches are held very long, especially during the first few repetitions. The top hand/bar position is more challenging, so if you want more of a stretch, place your hands on the top rung.
- After the parallel leg position you can internally rotate your leg and change the stretch to your outer hamstring muscles. (no photo shown). Keep your foot flexed.
- Follow the same instructions for the first leg position. (how long to hold, etc.)
- Or schedule a session with me or one of my teachers at the studio and ask us to take you through a private session using this highly effective system.
Body Fundamentals Tucson studio clients, you’re welcome to come by during business hours any day and use the Back System machine. Just give us a call and check in before you come by in case we’ve run out for lunch or the machine is being used.:)
If you don’t stretch your hamstrings on a regular basis, add these hamstring stretches to your home routine for preventative back care, back pain relief and gait improvement.